Just about everyone – regardless of age, gender, ethnic background, or lifestyle has the power to save at least one life.
As we celebrate Valentine’s Day, let’s pause for a moment to also recognize National Organ Donor Day.
Here are some powerful numbers to consider:
- 110,296 people in the U.S. are waiting for an organ
- every 11 minutes, someone is put on the donor waiting list
- An average of 75 people receive organ transplants each day. However, an average of 20 people die each day waiting for transplants that can’t take place because of the shortage of donated organs.
- one organ donor can save up to eight lives
- As of November 2010, the national waiting list included 45% White, 29% Black, 18% Hispanic, and 6% Asian patients.