Writing and reporting are life-long passions. I have worked professionally in multiple genres for more than 30 years. Staff jobs and freelance gigs include radio and TV news, magazines, newspapers, online media, PR and marketing, interactive agencies, non-profits and educational institutions.
I’m an independent journalist, freelancing for online and print media. Among them; Consumer Reports, Kaiser Health News, AARP.com, Medical Economics, Cancer Today, New America Media, Journal on Active Aging, American Journal of Nursing, and the Connecticut Health I-Team (C-HIT). I co-produce HealthCetera, a weekly radio show committed to advancing the conversation about health and health policy. The show airs on on the Pacifica radio network and as an iTunes podcast.
As the topic editor on aging for the Association of Health Care Journalists, I cover all aspects of health and aging, develop tip sheets, gather resources, data, and other background to help AHCJ members cover the many issues around our aging society. I author a monthly health column for the Silver Century Foundation, focusing on Boomers and healthy aging, and f
I’m a senior fellow at the new Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement, George Washington University School of Nursing, where I focus on including a broader scope of professional voices in health reporting.
Other credits include:
- Senior fellow at the Center for Health, Media & Policy in New York City (2012-2015), reporting on aging, caregiving, women’s health, Boomers and health policy.
- Director, Media Fellows Program, Center for Health, Media & Policy (2015-2017), mentored early-career journalists on key health care and health policy issues; helped them hone their reporting and multimedia skills through coverage of project-specific in-depth stories.
- Journalism in Aging Fellow, Gerontological Society of America and New America Media (2015); I investigated and reported on the many facets of family caregiving in New York City.
- Columbia University Age Boom Academy fellow (2015); I took a deep dive into common and unique issues of aging around the world with global experts.
- Past board member, Journalism & Women Symposium (JAWS), an organization dedicated supporting the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism and a more accurate portrayal of the whole society.
- Adjunct instructor, Empire State College, State University of New York, I taught undergraduate courses in Media and Communications and graduate-level writing workshops.
Strong communication skills, an excellent sense of balance, flexibility, and efficient time management are vital to success. I handle multiple roles, yet maintain a single-minded focus on the task at hand. The challenge and variety that comes with different writing pursuits keeps my instincts sharp and my copy fresh.
Interested? See samples of my work.
Email or call me @718.229.5730